Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes and La Cage Aux Folles

Bonjour mes amis!
Ou…Well, that, along with a few other useful phrases, is the extent of my French currently, so it's a good thing subtitles are a thing. Although in part of my quest to know everything I also want to know all the languages(!), but that will probably take some time. Lucky for you, I do already know how to separate egg whites. I didn't always of course, and once as a kid I was trying to make my sister a surprise birthday cake and thought "egg whites" probably just meant "white eggs." You won't make this mistake, and instead will have perfect pumpkin pancakes. (Or waffles. Oh man I wish I still had a waffle iron.)



I know you might be thinking, "yo Syd, I just mix flour and water and get some ok pancakes." Or even just, "yo, Bisquick is a thing." Trust me, this is better. Have you not learned that things from scratch are always better yet?

There are two ways to do this: Mix everything just going down the list, except pausing to beat the egg whites stiff in a separate bowl, OR, Mix the wet and dry separately, still doing the egg whites on their own. Because these are not finicky pancakes and I like minimal dishwashing I go with the former method, but as always, you do you.

Pumpkin Pancakes: (2 servings)
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or some combo of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger if you're feeling it)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup skim milk 
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
These are so nice and buttery-sweet already that we just drizzled some condensed milk on top since sometimes maple syrup can be it's own overpowering flavor. Also it looks fancy. (Also I have a lot of condensed milk because the only thing I really use it for is sometimes in my coffee.) One could also experiment with chocolate chips, blueberries, shwateva. 
-Syd

La Cage aux Folles 1978
Directed by Edouard Molinaro
(Crappy) Trailer

This is the story of a very entertaining gay couple Renato and Albin, who make a living off of a drag club they own and work at. Renato manages and Albin, known as Zaza on stage, is the star performer.

They are very successful and happy in their lives, but things get stirred up when Renato's son announces that he is getting married... and that his fiancee's parents are ultra conservative politically directed people who are coming to meet them.

With the help of their assortment of friends and employees, they set out to de-gay themselves and their lives for the sake of their son's engagement.

This film was actually an adaptation of a 1973 play. A broadway musical adaptation came out in 1983. The American remake, based and shot in my hometown of South Beach, FL, starring Robin Williams and Nathan Lane, was released in 1996 and is also amazing. 

Queer Rating
lore: 3.5 pumpkin pancakes
syd: 1.5 pumpkin pancakes


General Rating
lore: 3 pumpkin pancakes
syd: 2.5 pumpkin pancakes

Au revoir,
Lorena

No comments:

Post a Comment