Thursday, August 23, 2012

Apple Chicken Crepes and Suddenly

Hello and happy middle of the week!
We are now in the double digits of our dinner dates and it is very exciting. The movie we watched this week is Argentine like half of my background (my daddy's half) and the dinner we made was French (sort of) like the language I set my phone to in hopes that I'll learn it and then have a lot of trouble setting back to a language I actually know.
That's all I've got, here's the video.
-Lore


When my mother used to make this she more often put the filling in those little crispy pastry shell things, but if you can't procure those crepes are also delicious. Plus leftovers are good for dessert.

Crepes
2 tbs butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 cup flour

Make sure your pan is hot and has a little butter or something in it. Tilt the pan around once you put some batter in so it'll spread out thin. You may think it's too thin, it's probably not. Don't wander off as it needs to be flipped over pretty quick.

Filling
Truth: I never actually measure when I make this. And you don't have to either! (but here are guesstimates)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup diced chicken (usually I boil it, but I'm sure baked leftovers would work fine too)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1 cup diced green apple (seriously, delicious)
handful of raisins

Cook the onions, then add everything else. Although if you don't like your raisins rehydrated wait to add them near the end. Don't forget to add water if you are using condensed soup. Let it all heat up and stew a bit, then pour it in your crepes! Voilá!

Suddenly (Tan de Repente) 2002
Directed by Diego Lerman
Trailer

I don't know what I was expecting, but not this. The tagline on Wikipedia is "A young, naïve clerk at a lingerie store learns about love and her own identity." Netflix says that two lesbians kidnap some girl and I think shit is going down; and for sure stealing a cab is serious business, but then the rest of the movie does not go where you would expect it. Moving from slightly edgy to a sort of deadpan comedy, the ending comes as a strangely sweet surprise. Hence the "suddenly" I guess.

The kidnappers/lovers are an odd pair, and not only because they call each other Mao and Lenin (which is kind of cute in a weird way). One turns out to be kind of a jerk, the other one is actually quite nice. The kidnappee is probably the least interesting of the characters and is more of someone for the other two to play off of. (ok she has her own story, but she is not that exciting)

At risk of detracting from your experience of this winding art-house movie I will leave it at that, but if you watch it please do discuss that ending in the comments. Also: "I'm not a lesbian." "I'm not either!"

-Syd

Queer Rating
Lore: 1/4 of a crepe
Syd: 3/8 of a crepe

Overall Rating
Syd: 3/8 While we were initially joking that that black & white is very Clerks, this actually does remind me of Mallrats in that it's all about random little scenes and not really a plot. They connect of course, but there is no "driving force" so to speak, so depending how you like your movies you might want to know that.
Lore: 1.5/8  Yeah, I know weird rating, but that's how I felt. I didn't really dislike it that much. Thinking back I think I definitely enjoyed it... I really did.

Hasta la próxima semana!

No comments:

Post a Comment